3 Tips for Investing in Gold for Retirement
Investing in gold is great for anybody’s retirement plan, no matter if you’re a seasoned investor or fresh into the retirement savings game. It has a reputation for being a portfolio diversifier, holding its value, and being tried and true during economic uncertainty and inflation. Now is the best time to start investing in gold. Keep reading to learn three tips for investing in gold for retirement and how you can get started investing in gold today.
Investing in Gold for Retirement: Buy Physical Gold
There are many forms of physical gold you can buy to start investing in gold for retirement. The classic picture comes to mind of jewelry, bars, and coins. Investing in physical gold has many benefits, including:
- Confidentiality. Nobody has to know you own it. Not many other assets can say the same!
- Invest as much as you want. There is no limit to how much gold you can own or restrictions on how to obtain it. You are limited only by your own budget.
- It’s all yours. There is no branch of the federal, state, or local government that needs to know about your gold and, as such, you do not have to report any gold purchases.
According to Investopedia, there are two main categories of physical gold. They include:
- Gold bullion. This is perhaps the best-known form of direct gold ownership. Many people think of gold bullion as the large gold bars held at Fort Knox. Actually, gold bullion is any form of pure, or nearly pure, gold that has been certified for its weight and purity. This includes coins, bars, etc., of any size. A serial number is commonly attached to gold bars as well, for security purposes.
- Gold coins. For decades, large quantities of gold coins have been issued by sovereign governments around the world. Coins are commonly bought by investors from private dealers at a premium of about 1% to 5% above their underlying gold value, but it jumped to 10% in March 2020
Investing in Gold for Retirement: Invest in a Precious Metals IRA
Another way you can start investing in gold for retirement is through a precious metals IRA account. According to Forbes, a precious metal IRA is a special form of self-directed individual retirement account. Self-directed IRAs allow you to invest in a broad variety of unconventional assets, including precious metals, real estate, and even cryptocurrency. These are beyond the usual options available in a conventional IRA, though they have virtually identical traits outside of this, including the same contribution limits.
By rolling over your IRA, 401(k), 403, TSP, or 457 Plan into a Precious Metal IRA Account, you can achieve the same profits that you would gain by purchasing gold or silver directly, while also enjoying the benefits that your retirement account provides.
With precious metal IRAs, you can invest in gold, silver, platinum or palladium. That said, you can’t invest in just any gold, silver, platinum, or palladium. The IRS has specific standards your precious metals have to meet:
- Gold must be 99.5% pure
- Silver must be 99.9% pure
- Platinum must be 99.95% pure
- Palladium must be 99.95% pure
Acceptable products that meet these criteria include Canadian Maple Leaf coins, Australian Koala bullion coins, and PAMP Suisse bars. The IRS also allows American Eagle coins, despite the fact that they do not meet the 99.5% purity standard for gold. You cannot currently hold rare or collectible coins, Swiss Francs, British Sovereigns, and German Marks in a self-directed IRA.
Investing in Gold for Retirement: Start as Early as Possible
If you’re wondering when you should start investing in gold for retirement, the answer is: Now! There is no better time than now to start investing in gold and build your retirement nest egg. The sooner you are able to start saving for retirement, the more you will have when the time comes. Whether you are in your 50’s or fresh out of college, starting now will put you on the best track possible toward reaching your financial goals.
Investing in Gold for Retirement with Priority Gold
Another tip for investing in gold for retirement is to find a trusted dealer to help you along the way. Whenever you are ready to invest in gold to protect your savings and secure your future, we can help. Priority Gold is one of the most trusted precious metals dealers in the United States with BBB A+ Rating, AAA Rating with Business Consumer Alliance, and 5 Stars Rating with TrustLink.
At Priority Gold, we specialize in providing precious metals investment services with Security, Liability, and Great Convenience for customers. Our team is committed to helping to streamline their precious metals purchases at a fair price, selecting the right precious metals portfolios, and meeting their important financial objectives. We make the process as easy as possible while keeping you well-informed about the outcomes of your financial decisions.
We offer Free Storage for qualifying Gold & Silver IRA accounts, a fast & easy gold buying process, and smooth IRA Transfer. Priority Gold guarantees the highest standards of customer service, which comes with honesty, professional conduct, and the Ethical Code of Business. Your financial success is our success, and we are here to help you every step of the way.
For more information, visit us at prioritygold.com